Hang Man

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Where's The Beef? In My Freezer!

I love Joe's friends. Maybe they aren't friends so much as colleagues but whatever they are they have good taste. Sometimes Joe will take care of a colleague or their family member. They will be appreciative and sometimes send us a gift at Christmas. We've gotten gourmet candy, grapefruits from Texas, steaks, wine etc....
Although, the last few years we haven't gotten anything. So either Joe is slacking, or because we never send anything out but a card people got tired of spending money on us.

This year Joe was on someones nice list because we received a shipment of beef yesterday. That last statement makes it sound like it was an entire cow. For the price they apparently paid it should have been, but no it is one 3lb. beef tenderloin roast. It came from a company called "Allen Brothers". A catalog of their offerings came with the shipment. According to the catalog, the tenderloin they sent is priced at.........$199.95. HOLY MAD COW DISEASE!!!!!!!! Thank you very much, but SERIOUSLY? I checked the box to make sure the beef wasn't wrapped with 14kt gold paper. What could they possibly do to this beef to make it worth that much? I may actually have to go out and buy a thank you card for these people instead of making one up on my computer on recycled paper.

I made a beef tenderloin roast for our Christmas celebration last weekend. My roast was twice as big and only about a quarter of the price. It turned out really well, but I was a nervous wreck worrying about fixing it. I didn't want to ruin a $50 roast. I may have a nervous breakdown over fixing this $200 roast.

The roast came with a bonus too. It was packed in dry ice. Jaxon was fascinated by the smoke from the ice when we put it in the sink in some water. Actually I was quite mesmerized too. See, all they would have had to send was the ice and we would have been happy. (Try explaining to a 2 year old how smoking ice is cold not hot, but it will burn you.)

I am going to have to get up the nerve to cook this baby before it gets freezer burn. Maybe New Years Eve. Wait for your invitation in the mail.

If anyone wants to know what they can get me for Christmas, Allen Brothers has a "Steak of the Month" club. For only $1399.95 they will send a different "Prime" cut of meat every month; with the exception of February and November when the cut is only "Choice". I'll be waiting for my gift notice.