Hang Man

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Getting What You Want Is Not Always Satisfying

After months of correspondence, certified mail, Arguing and exasperation I have received what I requested from the VA. What I requested was to be the "fiduciary" for my Mother's affairs since she is no longer capable of handling them herself. Never mind that I already have Power of Attorney. The VA doesn't recognize a legal POA. Leave it to the government to make things more difficult. I sent the VA the information that they said was necessary 5 times. Yep! The same information 5 times. So....does that mean they are all morons and no one knew what to do with the paperwork? Or is it they just didn't care so it laid on someones desk and was lost in the shuffle? I'm betting it was a little of both.

Now that I have my mother declared incompetent with respect to her VA affairs, I don't feel so good. Incompetent is a legal term but it sounds so derogatory. Kind of like the word moron; except when I use the word moron it is derogatory. Mom's not incompetent, she just can't write a check because her hand shakes too much. Plus her eyesight is so bad she can't even see the paper very well. She's done her job in life, so now it's my turn to help her out. All I wanted was for the VA to say that it is ok for me to do the talking to them when I have a question, not to call her names. I know it's all a formality and legality kind of thing, but it's my Mom! She's so much more than what she has been transformed into because of her age and health.

It is so hard to keep my eyes open to what is real and inevitable. It's easier to close them and pretend that everything is fine; except that I run into wall when my eyes are closed.

No comments: