Hang Man

Friday, December 3, 2010

Photo Collage Decoupage




Creating a Photo Collage on Paper Mache Letters

1.  Select the photos you want to use and either scan them or upload them to your computer.  I use Picasa 3 to lay the pictures out in a collage form so that when I print them I can get different sized photos plus I can print more pictures on less paper.  You can download Picasa 3 for free.  It's a really nice photo organizer and editor.

2.  Once the photos are selected and ready to print, have them printed on a laser printer (a toner printer).  If you don't have one, places like Office Depot and Kinkos have them.  If you use an ink jet printer, the colors will bleed and fade.  I just download my photos to a flash drive and take it to Office Depot and they will print them out for you.  It cost me $1.81 to print these photos. ( I had them laid out in collage format on three 8.5 x 11 sheets.)

3.  Purchase a pre-made paper mache letter or design object.  I got mine at JoAnn Fabrics. 

4.  Begin to tear or cut apart your photos.  You can be more contemporary and straight cut all of your pictures or do like I did and tear them out for a more vintage look.  If you tear them, tear the paper toward you.  This will create a subtle white frayed edge.  One of the photos I tore out, then crumpled the paper into a ball and then straightened it back out.  That creates a vintage look to the photo like it was a treasured photo that had been carried around and looked at a lot. 

5.  You can dry arrange your photos on your letter to make sure everything will fit.  I don't usually do that because I am impatient and what to start gluing.  I am kind of a random and impulsive crafter, but if you want to do it right and don't want to have to run out and print more photos you probably should do this.  Or....print extra photos and just wing it like I did!

6.  You may want to paint the letter with acrylic paint first in a color of your choice.  That way if you want to leave spaces between the photos, the color will show through.  Again I was impatient and I painted in a few places after I glued the photos.  It worked, but not the best way to do it.

7.  I use Mod Podge as the glue and sealer.  You can use white glue I guess, but I have never tried it.  I like the Mod Podge because it dries fast and it comes in matte and gloss finishes.  There are a bunch of different formulas of Mod Podge but I just use the basic cheapest one.

8.  Brush the glue onto the letter where you want to put the picture and then place the photo and rub out the air bubbles.  You have limited time to reposition the photo because the Mod Podge dries pretty fast.  I use a bone folder  to smooth out the air bubbles, but you can use your finger or even the side of a smooth pen.  If you need to you can add a little Mod Podge here and there to get it to stick.

9.  When all of your photos are on, let it dry completely (about 15 mins.).  If you want an antique look, you can brush on an antiquing medium and wipe it off, or even use a little brown acrylic paint diluted with water and brush that on an wipe it off.  First test you antiquing technique on a place that may not show to make sure you will like the results.

10.  After all of your photos are on and it is how you want it to be when it's finished, it's time to layer on the Mod Podge.  3 layers would be the minimum.  I usually use 5 or more.  The picture of the "V" that I did doesn't have any layers added to it yet.  You could just do 1 layer if you like that look.  Just make sure it dries completely before adding the next layer.  The Mod Podge goes on white and then turns clear when dry.  If you don't let it dry between layers it may have a milky appearance.

The instructions sound like a lot of work, but it really isn't.  I just tried to be detailed so you wouldn't make the mistakes that I already have.

Have fun!  This would make a great last minute Christmas gift.

No comments: