Hang Man

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Technology Is Great.....When It Works

Now I remember why I go to great lengths to resist new technology. When it breaks it really pisses me off. Mostly because I know it's something that I can't fix myself which requires talking to service people. I don't like dealing with service people especially when I get the impression that I know more about the problem than they do. I read the manual and sometimes it's pretty obvious that they didn't. That's why when I do run across someone that actually knows the product and what they are talking about, I get all gidy and I want to kiss them. I refrain from the kissing but I make sure I tell them how much I appreciate their knowledge.

Which brings me to my current problem. I have my beautiful new flat screen TV and I upgraded to a DVR receiver. The receiver was installed yesterday. Worked great, except Joe hogged the TV all day. He was watching football, but I really didn't mind because the picture was so awesome I just liked looking at it. So I get up this morning and the DVR is making a humming noise (no it didn't hum anything I recognized). It wouldn't turn on either. That's just great! Less than 24 hours and it's not working. I do all the normal troubleshooting things....still doesn't work. I break down and call Dish Network. The guy was pretty pleasant. I almost believed him when he told me that he was sorry I was having problems. Long story short, the receiver is toast. A lemon. After he had me go through the steps that I already did, he determined that the receiver would need replaced. Unbelievable! He starts processing my order for a new receiver and begins to tell me of the $14.95 return charge and some other charge. Just as I was about to throw an F bomb in his face, he says "I will waive those charges since this is a brand new receiver." Yes, yes you will.

Tuesday Best Buy is coming to install all the other components, which I am not sure I can even test out since there is no antenna connection. I probably won't get the new receiver until Thursday. Ahhhhhhhhh! I know it's not the end of the world and I am thankful that I am even in a position that I can have these things. It's just soooooo frustrating. I feel intimidated in my own house by my electronic equipment.

I was reading an article in a magazine (HD Living) which apparently I now receive. It was actually an article about a guy who recently moved from California to Ft. Wayne and wanted to upgrade his current home theater system. He enlisted the services of Audio Visual Lifestyles and $90,000.00 later he had his upgrade. $90,000.00 for a HOME TV! I guess if you can spend $90,000.00 for TV equipment you can probably afford to hire a repair tech for 24/7 service. Hell, you could probably hire someone to work the remote.

I need to relax a little, maybe I'll go do some yoga. I just hope my DVD player works.

No comments: