Hang Man

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

ZUMBA

Zumba is a Latin inspired aerobic exercise style. It's been around for a long time. I actually have a VHS tape from back in the day. It's just recently becoming hot here in the Hoosier state. We always get the "in" things about 5 years later than most areas of the country. A new dance studio opened up on my side of town that offers classes. A few of my friends and Amanda have taken the class and said it is a lot of fun. I figured what the hell. I've done it before so I thought I knew what to expect. This was like no other Zumba class I have ever taken. It was a little Latin, a little Belly Dancing, and Hip Hop all rolled into one.

The instructor had more energy than a hip hop rabbit on crack. The music was loud and fast. Everyone was shoulder to shoulder. 40+ people in a 30' x 20' area. The room was hot and humid. She started quick and before I knew it bodies and bootys were shaking all over the place. I was next to Queen Latifah. She sauntered in a little late, ran into Amanda and then positioned herself at my side. Perfect! I was keeping up pretty well but I had to take a break about half way through. It was either step out for a moment or hurl and pass out in front of everyone. There was probably a 20 degree temperature difference between that room and the lobby. I took a few deep breaths of fresh air and headed back in. At least Queen L kept my spot open. I really wouldn't have wanted to tangle with her. She was a little bossy too. At one point both Amanda and I were going the wrong way and she yells; "left, right, left, right." WHATEVER! As if we were making her look bad. Her pants up her ass crack were already doing that. The class was an hour long. It felt like a week. I couldn't even keep track of the time because at one point the instructor's energetic dancing knocked the clock right off of the wall. I kept looking at it lying there on the floor. It seemed like time stood still. Wait....it did. The battery had fallen out of the clock. Phew! I thought I was in a time warp or something.

Standing next to Queen L and attempting these hip hop moves, I never felt so white. But I showed her. When it came time for the cool down and the stretching, my yoga experience payed off. I was a stellar stretcher! IN YUR FACE HIP HOP QUEEN!

The studio is having a special right now. If you pay for one month, you get one month free. Before class Amanda and I talked about doing that. After class Amanda asked if I was ready to sign up. I told her I'd have to get back to her on that.

2 comments:

Manders24 said...

Ha HA! That Queen L sure was a trip....I was gonna call you this morning to make sure you could get out of bed alright. My shoulders are sore and so is my left foot, I rolled it last night, blah! But now I want to go again:)Now we just have to get enrolled in our first TRI and we'll be world class athletes.

bestmama said...

LOL, I told Amanda I would have paid to see this!!! I could only imagine, but I must say I am surprised you werent a fan! I hope next 8 weeks Iwill be able to go and than it will be one big happy family....and Queen!