Hang Man

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Want To Buy A Car?

I'm trying to sell a few large items from around the house. Actually we've been trying to sell Joe's Ford Focus since last summer. I've had an add in the paper and online. I only received one call from the newspaper ad which ran for two months. I finally decided to put a sign on it and park it at the end of the driveway. I had two calls in the first few days. One guy showed up the other day while I was power washing. It's kind of hard to conduct business wearing a rain suit and goggles. I did my very best to act knowledgeable and businesslike. He was a guy probably around my age, dressed nicely and well spoken. I thought for sure I was gonna make a sale. As we walked from the house to the end of the driveway, we talked about selling things and how you have to avoid scams and he told me how you shouldn't take cashier's checks from people because you can actually buy cashier's checks at Staples. (It's a long driveway we had plenty of time to talk). He drove it and looked under the hood. All the positive signs were there until my excitement was replaced with "Are you freakin kidding me?" As we walked back to the house he started telling me of his failed 23 years of marriage and how he used to own restaurants and had horses but when he divorced he gave it all to his wife....blah, blah, blah. Bottom line, he can't get a loan because his credit sucks. Welcome to the bank of Patti! His solution was to give me the title to a truck that he owns and I would keep the title to the focus, then he would make monthly payments and probably be able to pay it off in a year. I wanted to yell: "Are you F---ing kidding me????" I didn't though because I thought maybe he was sent by Oprah to test me and see if I would be a good Samaritan and then she would shower me with all kinds of gifts. He told me to think about it and he would call in a few days. I was polite and told him I would talk to my husband about it. In my head I'm thinking; there is no way in hell I'm going to do that. Who does that????? Doesn't he watch TV. There are tons of ads for car dealers where they say: "No money down and we don't care about your credit." Why doesn't he go to one of those??? Better yet, why doesn't he sell the truck that he supposedly has???? Very strange! He must have thought I was a push over maybe based on my attire. Maybe it was the gutter debris that spelled out "sucker" across my forehead. He doesn't know who he's dealing with. I wasn't born yesterday, I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, I got his number and it's 1-800-loserrr. Sorry Oprah, I guess I failed your test.

No comments: