Hang Man

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Blast From The Past

Creeple Peeple and Mogan David wine with 7up. No, they don't go together. Both are things from the past that I have been reminded of lately. My Mom and Dad used to drink Mogan David wine and 7up. They would sometimes fix me one. It was barely tinged pink with the wine, but none the less my parents were guilty of contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Back then, it was no big deal. Now they would be sent to jail. Boy have things changed. I bought a bottle of the wine the other day. It's only about 4 bucks a bottle. Now however when I make it, it is more grape colored. It's the original wine cooler. Try it!
The Creeple Peeple came back into my memory via Bryan's excitement about Creepy Crawlers. They still make the Creepy Crawlers where you have molds and goop. You fill the molds with the goop and put them in a little light bulb powered oven. Wah Lah....you have rubbery little bugs. I remembered I used to have something similar where the molds were actually heads and arms and feet that you could put on a pencil. I went surfing on e-bay, and sure enough there they were! Looking at the picture of the box brought back a lot of memories. I am so going to bid on that! Well, maybe not. One of the sets that I was looking at started out at $10 and sold for around $150. It's expensive to be nostalgic. (Creeple Peeple came out in 1964) It's funny to me too the way that designs of things have changed. Mainly things have changed because people have injured themselves on previous designs out of stupidity. Now, if the companies want to continue to make their product they have to make it stupid proof so they don't get sued. For instance, the creepy crawler oven used to be an open recessed tray that you put the mold in. It heated up when you plugged it in. It got very hot and if you didn't use the tongs or wait till it cooled off you would definitely get burned. DUH! Now it's this cheesy plastic oven that you slide the mold into. It has a safety switch so that you can't open the oven door until it is completely cooled off. Not as fun, because you can't watch it cook. I say quit protecting people with no common sense, it just muddies up the gene pool.
Aaaahhh, memories!

No comments: