Hang Man

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Life Changes

There are days that one looks forward to with great anticipation and excitement. Yesterday wasn't one of those days for me. I took my Mom to look at a Nursing Home. Never thought that day would come, but it has. I remember visiting my Grandma and Grandpa McKee at a Nursing Home. It was horrible! It smelled really bad and there was a lady there that grabbed everyone that walked by. My Grandma Moore was in a Nursing Home as well. The place she was in was much better, but it was still hard to go there. I was pretty young when my Grandparents died, so I wasn't really in touch with what my parents were going through having their parents in Nursing Homes. Thinking about putting your parents in a Nursing Home isn't something most people dwell on. The thought may enter your head, but you quickly dismiss it as unpleasant. So when the day actually comes, it hits you like a ton of bricks. I think I may be taking it harder than Mom. Mom is hard to read, especially now. She doesn't say too much and she doesn't really talk about her "feelings." So I'm sitting there holding her hand and staring at her and she looks at me and says: "What are you looking at?" "Oh, nothing, just at you." Seriously! does she not know how freaked out I am? Then while I choke back tears and try to control the urge to puke, I ask her: "Are you scared?" "No!, why would I be scared?" Am I on another planet? Am I not about to sentence my Mother to a life with no control? Why isn't there more screaming and kicking????? She's taking this way too well and it's making me feel guiltier. Then it hit me. BAM! This isn't about me. It's about her and she apparently has accepted it, or she is too confused to know. She has found some way to cope and move on, so I guess I need to too. I know it's the right thing to do, and the place I found is a nice place. It's like when a person is diagnosed with a terminal illness. Somehow they have to come to terms with it in their own mind and accept it. Everyone around them though is freaked out and not willing to accept it for them. Honestly, that's selfish, but it's what we do. I still feel like I'm going to puke every time I think about it, and I really don't know what the next step is or what I am going to do. I will however, figure it out and make the best of it. I Love my Mommy and I will hopefully do what is best for her. One thing you can count on.....NO ONE messes with my family and gets away with it. I got your back MaMa!

3 comments:

Lauren said...

I think about her a lot-she is too cute. Can you please email me her new address when she gets settled?

Steve said...

How do I respond, I can't. Mom will always be the one that I remember through all of the phases of her life. When you don't get to see someone as often as you would like each reunion is a new phase. You have missed somethings but when you are there something sticks with you about that visit. For me Dad will always be about 30 to 40 years old its how I will always remember him although I do very vividly remember the last time I visited him in the hospital. I have never imagined being in this situation in my entire life and I guess I'm not really there now either. Patti you are taking care of all the things that by virtue of my age and being the first born should logically fall to me. We have joked about me always being the favorite son because I haven't been there to go through the tough times with mom and she remembers that I call her usually ever other day or so. She remembers that but forgets that you are there for all of her needs. I love you more than you could ever know and will be forever thankful of all that you have done or will do. Love Steve

Manders24 said...

Thanks...now I'm crying. Mom, I hope you just decide to wonder off in the mountains somewhere when you get to be that age,(like you said you wanted to do) so I don't have to go through this.Just kidding! I will take care of you and be there for you always too!