Hang Man

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Emotional Rollercoaster

Today turned out to be a much better day. It didn't start out that way though. The nursing home wanted to change the room that we picked out. They wanted her in a room closer to the nurses station because she is a fall risk. I understand that from a nurses perspective, but I'm not a nurse now, I'm her daughter. Emotionally speaking, the room that we originally picked out felt better to me and as much as I could tell from Mom she was ok with it too. It's like getting psyched up for something and then someone goes and changes the plan. It knocks the wind out of your sail a little bit. I felt like they were pushing me into something I didn't want. I already didn't want to be there in the first place and now this! I was ready to go somewhere else. I forget sometimes that I have a support system in my family. I like to do everything myself so I very rarely ask for help. Silly me! I talked to Joe and he told me to stick to my guns and do what I think is right. He said:"Don't let them tell you what they want, it's up to you, you decide." I called Bryan to get his input. Bryan continues to surprise me. I'm pretty sure that Bryan says things to me sometimes that he knows are ridiculous just to see how I will react. When it really matters most he has the most level headed and right on advice. He will tell me when he thinks I'm overreacting. He has a way of making me see the other side without taking sides. Amanda and I are one in the same. I can talk to her and she knows exactly what I feel. We can validate each others feelings even when we know they are irrational. It helps put them in perspective. So, armed with the confidence from my husband and children I went to the nursing home to put my foot down (nicely though). I actually snuck in unannounced and found out from one of the nurses which room it was that they wanted to put Mom in. I went snooping around and found the lady that would be her roommate. Her name is Esther and she has one leg. She is a very sweet, soft spoken lady, that keeps a tidy room. We talked for a little while and I got a very nice feeling that this might be ok. Then I got caught by the admissions lady. I really didn't like her much, she was patronizing and didn't listen to me well. She had her own agenda. I overlooked that though and focused on my mission. Which was finding a room with good Karma! I went to the room that I first picked out and I didn't get as good an impression as I did the first time I was there. Interesting! So Esther it is, room 304. I go over tomorrow to start the paperwork. I had an epiphany while I was there today. It had to do with the fact that all of the residence that I talked to were hard of hearing. I decided that that is actually a good thing because that way they don't hear their roommate snoring. God works in mysterious ways.
This evening I got on my blog and read the comment from Steve. It has to be hard not being around. Steve, I want you and anyone else reading to know that I have never felt put upon to take care of Mom or felt that it should be you instead of me taking care of this. I have finally found my place in my family. I am the caretaker. It's what I do best and what I need to do. I know if you lived here you would be right by my side doing this with me. But I would have to be in charge though because I am a control freak (just ask Amanda). I finally feel like you and I are on the same page and I wouldn't change a thing. I love you too more than you know!

5 comments:

Steve said...

We all have our places in life and your right we are very much alike. Probably more so than we both realize. We both protect family and each other. You know we both got it from dad don't you. I guess this is the reason we live far apart, we can look at things objectively and then make the appropriate response or offer objective advice to each other. Right now your dealing with mom. I'm dealing with Kyle's problems. He got out of a lease in TN and the property manager is giving grief about the return of deposits. He was getting the royal run around and then I got involved. All of a sudden the lost check was mysteriously found and sent to me. Problem is he is still witholding more money. I'm not sure of my legal footing on this but since I signed the lease agreement for Kyle here in OH (Power of Attorney) I may take this to small claims court here knowing full well that the Property manager won't travel to OH to fight it. If I get a default judgement against him I can then turn it over to the military housing authorities at Ft Campbell and let them deal with the guy. We will probably get nothing out of it but if it gives him a hard time about doing business with the military then we have accomplished something.

Yourmamasbooty said...

Hey whats up with all this sad shit. If I wanted to be depressed I would read Amanda's blog. Lets talk about something funny.... Like Steve's blog picture!

Steve said...

Whats wrong with my blog picture. Its me for real. What really gets me is when I use it to follow a blog my head and feet get cut off. Now thats something to talk about. I have been reading all of the flagged blogs and some of them are really waaaay behind on posting anything.

Steve said...

By the way I just got a real good look at you blog pic. What are you trying to say and is that really you.

Patti said...

I noticed that about your picture when the head gets cut off. That sucks. I'm about ready to delete my blog list or at least change the title to "blogs of no interest". Except Lauren. Also, Amanda is making a better effort. Come on people, spill your guts!