Hang Man

Friday, July 17, 2009

The Brighter Side Of Things.

Since "they" say that life is what you make it, I like to make it fun. I try to see the humor in everything or at least the bright side. Taking Mom to the nursing home yesterday was no exception. It was a hard day, but it wasn't without it's lighter moments. Some moments I just had to laugh or I would have cried. Mom is pretty quiet these days but she can still make me laugh. She has become a little opinionated and isn't afraid to share some of those thoughts. One of the nurses came to say goodbye to her and wish her well. The woman was no more than a few steps away when Mom says; "I think she wears the same shirt everyday." She also wasn't above telling me to "shut up" and "quit asking me questions, I don't have anything to say!" I was trying to get her to open up about her feeling but apparently she wasn't interested. Every time someone new would come into her room and introduce themselves she would greet them appropriately then as they were walking out of the room she would look at me and wrinkle her nose. I also learned an interesting fact. Mom has a boyfriend. She says; "He doesn't know I exist, but he's cute." She was teasing....I think? It will however; remain an unrequited love because she had to leave him behind at Kingston.

Then there was the lady in the bathrobe, night cap and orange crocs running around the nurses station. That is going to be me! Running around and not caring what anyone thinks. Next was the lady sitting in her wheelchair in the hall with the neck of her shirt pulled up over her face to the top of her head. At first I thought she was crying, then I realized she was coughing. That was one of those laugh moments so I didn't cry. My favorite lady was Mom's table mate at dinner. Her name is Virginia. She has a very nice smile and sweet look about her. I introduced myself and my Mom and we chatted a bit. I thought wow she seems really with it. Good for her! I noticed that she repeated herself a few times. No big deal. Then she said she forgot her purse. We looked around for it and I told her that she probably left it in her room. She says: "I don't know how I'm going to pay." "For what I ask?" "My meal." Oh dear, not so with it. She then proceeds to ask the aide to write her a bill and she would pay it later. That is if they trusted her for it. When the aide told her it was free, she was astounded. "FREE! I've never heard of such a thing. Where are we? Ruby Tuesdays? I've heard that some days they give out free meals!" I laughed out loud. It was the most pathetic, adorable thing I ever heard. Just ask Bryan, he was there. I think it left him speechless and wondering what it was going to be like when I'm 80. Good luck Bryan and Amanda. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be a handful.

4 comments:

Manders24 said...

You can live with me, Brad and Jaster...it'll be fun. When it comes time for me to take you to a nursing home, I'll just hide you in my closet and tell Brad that I took you to a nursing home:) Besides we'll have fun being old and senile together, consdering I will be in my 70's when you are in your 90's!

Patti said...

I didn't plan that very well did I. Your going to be too old to take care of me. Maybe I should have a baby now so by the time I'm old it can take care of all of us.

Lisa said...

Well Walt and I will be in great shape at the rate we are going our next child will graduate from college just in time for us to collect our social security!

Patti said...

Crazy to think about isn't it!