Hang Man

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Buyer Beware

If you were purchasing an item online from a reputable store and you saw in print: "100% satisfaction guaranteed or your money back." Would you continue reading the fine print? I would venture to guess that most people wouldn't. The store in question is: Sears Parts Direct. I ordered three parts. They actually sent me the wrong part on one item and I didn't need the other two parts. I requested a credit for the wrong part, plus shipping since it wasn't my fault for the return. I understood and accepted the fact that I would pay for the shipping on the parts that I didn't want. They credited me for the wrong part minus the shipping and didn't credit me for the two parts that I didn't need. When I called, I was told that the shipping was non-refundable even though they screwed up and they wouldn't credit the return of the other parts because they were under a minimum dollar amount. Basically they were keeping over $20 of my money because of the wording in the fine print. I don't think so. I remained calm even though I wanted to rip her head off over the phone. It's not her fault. I calmly asked her to rationalize how they could charge for shipping when they sent me something I didn't even order and why 100% satisfaction didn't apply to a part that cost only $6.00. All she could say was that it was in the fine print. I must have appealed to her sense of fairness, because she did end up crediting me for the shipping and the other parts. She was able to read what the other associate had told me so she knew I wasn't making shit up. Everything was resolved in a civil manner and most importantly to my satisfaction. I'm sure a less reputable company would have been less willing to cooperate. Which brings me to my TOTD.

Patti's TOTD #10: If things would not have worked out by talking with Sears directly, I would have disputed the charge on my credit card. I'm pretty sure all credit cards have this option. You dispute the charge and it is investigated by a third party. They decide whether it is a legit charge or not. Nine times out of ten the consumer will prevail. Don't ever hesitate to dispute an unfair charge. Companies make A LOT of money from late fees and other charges that they are not really allowed to do, but if it's not questioned they get away with it. I have disputed charges as little as $2. It's not the dollar amount, it's the principle damn it!

2 comments:

Steve said...

I can tell that we are definitely related. I had to deal with Sears last week also. Craftsman tool 100%guarantee it breaks and I return it they replace it with a cheap piece of plastic crap because Craftsman no longer carries this item. I went the same route and had it replaced the next day with at least a comporable part. I am also in the middle of a Credit card dispute with National car rental. Its a long story but the end result is that the over charge is trying to be explained away as taxes. Even though the amount of the TAXES are exactly the same amount that I was charged for a one day rental. You have to go after them..... Although I also see the other side of it and it really pisses me off when I get a return at Gander and you can tell that they're pulling a scam. I have to smile and say thank you very much you cheating asshole. I generally leave out the last part of that though.

Patti said...

Dad taught us well!