Hang Man

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Drama At High Tide

The bad news is that two boats collided on the Turner River this evening. The good news is one of them wasn't Joe. Joe was out fishing at the time and on Turner River. I went to the docks to wait for him and that is when I came upon all the commotion. Some lady told me there was an accident on the river and she said someone went to the hospital. My first thought was; Where is the boat? She pointed to where the damaged boat was and all I could see was the motor, but I knew right away it wasn't Joe's. Thank GOD! I stuck around for a little while to see if I could get the scoop. I needed one of those "Miracle Ear" devices. You know, the thing that looks like a bluetooth but it's actually a sound amplifier. You can use it to eavesdrop. Anyway, I found out that the two boats were going in opposite directions down Turner. Turner River has many blind turns, so it behoves you to go slow; which apparently they weren't. When they came upon each other instead of going past each other like you would pass on the road, they both turned the same way. The larger boat flew right over the back end of the smaller boat. The guys in the small boat were all thrown out. The back end including the motor on the small boat was all chopped up. Three guys went to the hospital. I don't think any of them were seriously hurt. It could have been much worse! Body parts could have been flying if they would have been close to the prop when it flew over them. I heard one of the Rangers say something about a bottle of whiskey and that they were going to blood test the guys at the hospital. Both of the boats were confiscated which didn't make the guy from the big boat too happy. Nothing like a little drama to spice up an otherwise routine relaxing day in Paradise.

1 comment:

bestmama said...

Did you say whiskey? Is Jim in Chokoloskee?