Hang Man

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Be careful what you say, you could scar a kid for life.

"Don't put all of your eggs in one basket." If I did that, I'd have to carry 6 baskets to the barn everyday to gather eggs. That would be silly! That cliche came to me today while gathering eggs. Taken literally that is just not a practical idea. Figuratively it makes sense; to most adults. Imagine if you were 5 or under and someone said that to you. Maybe that's what I was doing this morning, thinking like a 5 year old. What are some other sayings that would probably confuse a child? "Don't count your chickens before they are hatched." Why not, I can count the eggs. "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." That one even confuses me???? "You'd lose your head if it wasn't fastened on!" That one is just down right scary. One cliche that we say to kids often; "Don't let the bed bugs bite." They might never sleep again. "It's raining cats and dogs." They might think they are getting a new pet. I was looking on a website of common cliches and found one that I personally have never used; "you can't polish a turd." Actually that is not true. I saw an episode on Myth Busters where they actually did form turds in to a ball and polished it to a shine. So all of you turds out there, there is hope!

No comments: