Hang Man

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A day in the life of a chicken farmer

The girls seem to be settling in to their new home. They venture out further and further each day. Sometimes it takes me awhile to find them. Today they decided to make dust holes in the back of the barn. Bear and Ellie do their part in keeping them close to their coop. I made the mistake of encouraging Ellie to chase them and now she won't quit. Bear chases them occasionally but as of yet he hasn't tried to eat them. I have Poached eating out of my hand. Every time she sees me she comes running. During the day it would be hard to catch one, but at night it is a different story. I find it to be a weird phenomenon. At night when they go into the coop to roost, I can walk up to them and pet them and pick them up without difficulty. It's almost like they are drugged. I tried to find out if their is a reason for that but as of yet my research has turned up no real answers. I am enjoying them immensely but still waiting for eggs. I figure by mid September I should have eggs. If I don't, then they are defective.

9 comments:

Manders24 said...

That is crazy, it is like that is their comatose state. I always look forward to reading your blog of the day! By the way I typed one today while waiting for my appointments to come! Yay me

Steve said...

I wouldn't count on a regular daily production until about a year old. Just something I was told once.

Patti said...

I believe you have been misinformed. Red Star lay at around 22 weeks and the Black Star around 20 weeks old. Some chickens only lay for the first year, so 1 year old is way too late to start. Chickens born in the spring start laying by the fall.

Steve said...

Here is a link for you to look at. Is this where you got your chickens
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/faqhowlongdoesi.html

Patti said...

I don't care when its regular, I just want the first egg! which should be soon. That's all I'm saying. I probably won't be able to find the eggs anyway, they wander around everywhere.

Patti said...

ps I have read the book "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens and it talks about the different breeds and how some only lay 1-2 years while you make get eggs out of others for many more than that, and yes I have seen the website for mcmurray and if you go under the red star and black star you get more specific information about those breeds. Don't even try to one up me on chickens, I will take you down.

Steve said...

Whoaaaah back the bus up Henry I think were headed into a twister.

And by the way how come when I sign on to other blogs it knows who I am and I don't have to type in my user name password and all that other crap. Zips me right in. I would think that because we are family I would have at least a little pull.

Patti said...

Joe said I had to quit messing with you about the chickens. He's afraid that he won't get his kayak. About the sign in thing. Do you sign on to my blog first and then go to the other sites through mine? Once you sign in on mine, then the other sites know who you are. If you did the reverse and signed into Lauren's first then my site would recognize you.

bestmama said...

DUH STEVE!!!