Hang Man

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMY!

My mother is 88 years old today! The photo is me, mom and Roger in.......May of 1966. Mother's Day 1966 to be exact. Let's do the math. Mom is 46 in that picture; 3 years younger than I am right now. Roger was 17 and I was 7. I totally don't remember that picture being taken, but I seriously remember the plant on the right. How things change. I now cannot think about mom's birthday without thinking about the anniversary of Roger's death. Of all of the other 364 days available why that day? I like to think that there is a reason that it happened. There are two important dates in our lives. Our birth date and the date of our death. Once we're born the death is inevitable. My feeling is what better way to honor your mother than to die on the anniversary of her birth. I look at it as a gift. She gave him his first breath and he gave her his last. It's a bond between them that will last forever. Long after we are all gone. So today is a celebration of life and death, love and family and all the happiness and sadness in between. Happy Birthday to the matriarch of our family. I love you mama!

P.S. I miss you Roger...say hi to Dad for me.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

What an adorable picture! I love how proper Roger looks sitting up so straight with his hands in his lap :) You were adorable and I want the coat you were wearing!

Manders24 said...

Geez mama! Make me cry why don't you. That was so sweet and such a good way of looking at things.

I love you!

Lisa said...

Wow, made me cry too! I have not visited lately as I started a new job the day after we came back from Colorado. I have a lot of catching up to do but I enjoyed reading about all of your adventures as well as the birthdays. You really do have a great way of looking at things! P.S. great hair!!