Hang Man

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Not The Worst Thing You Could Eat

I am not a bad Grandma! I would never do anything dangerous or unhealthy to or around my grandchildren (If you don't count the time Bryan and I let Julian be the first to try out the go cart and he ran into the wire fence.) Actually since Bryan was there it was technically his call and therefore his fault (I'm just saying).

This brings me to recent events involving dog food and Jaxon. First of all I did not offer Jax the dog food. I'm not even sure why he thought to try it in the first place. I think he may have been watching Ellie eat and figured maybe he would try it too. I saw him take a piece and chew it. I figured that would be the end of it. Not so, next thing I knew he had a handful and was eating it like popcorn. I asked him if it was good and he enthusiastically says: "YEAH!"

Now, I understand that most people would take the dog food away from him and tell him not to eat it. We have already established that I am not like most people, so I was weighing my options. It's not like he's eating glass. The dog food is healthier than most food kids generally eat. Plus it was Science Diet small bite dog food so he wouldn't be likely to choke on the pieces. Then I had to think about what if he goes to some one's house and sees the dog food bowl and says: "Oooh that looks like Science Diet mind if I have some?" That could be embarrassing for Amanda and Brad (but incredibly funny). Then there is the possibility that he tells everyone that Nanu lets him eat dog food. It could ruin my reputation. Wait...who am I kidding, reputation be damned, that would be hilarious. There was only one real downside to his eating the dog food. He would have to contend with Ellie.

Sure enough, I'm in the other room and I hear Ellie growl and Jax say: "ouch!" What followed was a conversation that I never thought I would be having.... "What happened?" "Ellie bit me!" "Were you eating her food?" "yeah". "dogs don't like it when you bother them while they are eating." "I was eating it and she just bit me". "It's her bowl, I'll get you a bowl of your own." "Yah!" I made up the last sentence I didn't really get him his own bowl. I just let him eat out of the dog food container. No, I didn't do that either but I wanted to. Actually maybe I did, maybe I didn't. I'm not saying.

As far as I can tell he suffered no ill effects from eating the dog food; however, when I called the other day I could hear him howling in the background. Amanda said he was pretending he was a coyote. I swear I never fed him a live animal so I am not responsible for the coyote tendencies.

Just to put every one's mind at ease I copied the dog food ingredients directly from the Science Diet website. Compare that to the ingredients on the fruit snacks label and see which one is worse.


Chicken
Brown Rice
Whole Grain Wheat
Cracked Pearled Barley
Soybean Meal
Chicken Meal
Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid)
Dried Egg Product
Natural Flavor
Whole Grain Oats

Remaining Ingredients
Apples, Cranberries, Soybean Oil, Peas, Carrots, Dried Beet Pulp, Iodized Salt, Flaxseed, Broccoli, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Calcium Carbonate, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract

2 comments:

Manders24 said...

Ok so after reading the ingredients I don't feel so bad anymore. That sounds healthier than most things I eat on a daily basis. Maybe I'll start to join him, see what all the craze is about!! Regardless I still think you are a wonderful Nanu! A bit strange.....but wonderful none the less:)Hopefully no one reports you to child protective services!

Patti said...

Funny you should say that about CPS. I was going to put a disclaimer at the bottom of my blog so no one would turn me in. HaHa.