Hang Man

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Letters From The Past

Family nostalgia is on my mind since having everyone here last weekend and going through Mom's stuff. I thought I would share some of the interesting letters that I found.

I found this letter in a blank envelope with no date. It had to be from 1940ish, give or take a year. Here is the exact letter.

Dear Miss Moore,

You've got something pretty good in Ed. Hang on to him but watch the other gals cause he's just too darn beautiful to be true. Especially those eye lashes which I hope my gal never sees.

You must be pretty special too if what Ed says is only half true. He really loves you in case you're interested and no doubt you are.

Everyone here thinks that Magee is pretty much on the o.k. side.

In case you're wondering why you've received this, it's a little thing I'm trying to see how Mac trusts me. If you receive this, it means that he hasn't read it and if you don't, you won't be interested.

Another thing I meant to put on here is that he is really true to you.

Yours, (thru a mutual acquaintance)

Pvt. Moe Meyer

I'm still not sure if this letter was meant to reassure Mom how much Dad loved her from a third party perspective, or if it was a test of honor between Dad and this guy. Maybe both. I just think it's soooo cool how trust and honor and fidelity meant so much to them. That letter just struck me as so innocent and pure, something that seems so rare now.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Is that the name of the person who wrote the letter at the end. Is the Rt possibly a Lt. If so then it may be a company subordinate who knows that dad has to sensor letters being sent out. Possibly they didn't sensor fellow officers letters as a matter of trust. Who knows. I have letters sent by dad to mom also and they are very special.

Lauren said...

What a nice letter!

Patti said...

I thought it should be Lt. instead of Rt. but it's pretty clearly Rt. Wait...I have been studying it and I think it's actually Pvt.