Hang Man

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

New Adventure


This is going to be my new hobby. I've gone to the birds! Or rather the chickens. I ordered my chickens online last night. Is that crazy or what....chickens by mail. I've been doing lots of research on the subject and have decided on Red Star and Black Star hybrid chickens. I am only starting out with 5 of each. Supposedly these type of chickens are winter hardy and good layers which are two important things. I am converting one of the stalls in the barn to the chicken coop. They will have a pen for when we are not here, but when we are home they will have free range. I have a lot of work to do before they get here but I have time because they will not be shipped till August. I figure if worse comes to worse and it doesn't work out we'll just eat them! Actually I'm kidding. I couldn't do that especially since I plan on naming them. I'll have 10 so if you have any suggestions for names or would like one named after you ,then let me know. The funniest thing about this is I was telling Steve about it and he's already had plans to get chickens too. What are the odds! He's doing something a little different though. He is going to have a rooster and he talked about "walking the cock." I'm not sure if that has to do with the rooster or not, but whatever he does in the privacy of his own home is his business.

8 comments:

Lauren said...

Um, yes. I would like you to name one of them Breckenridge. You can call her Breck for short. Thank you. I would like monthy updates on my chicken, like those "Feed the Children" letters people get. And make sure I can read it-I don't want chicken scratch. Ha ha ha ha ha-I am hilarious!

Lauren said...

Aaaaaaaaaaand, Steve should seriously have a blog-he is one clever fella!

Manders24 said...

Brad thinks that the Ottinger Farm really needs some pigme goats..perhaps maybe even a miniature horse.

Steve said...

I'll give a full explination of the references to me and my chicken thing when I'm fully involved and not before. I know what your all thinking and it has nothing to do with choking the chicken.

Patti said...

Steve, I never said you were choking it, that would be cruel. Poor little chicken. And Lauren I will be glad to name one Breckenridge. Do you want a red or black? And Amanda, tell Brad not to push it.

Lauren said...

Ooooooh, a red one!

Lisa said...

I am not trying to be greedy, but I would like a black and a red named Thelma and Louise. I won't need any chicken scratch, just maybe a photo! Thanks. By the way I did think it was funny because my dad had just told me they were getting chickens, what are the odds of that?

Cmishta Mishta said...

Ok so I think one should be called MIM....for Miracle in Motion!!! I think Amanda would side w/ me on this:)