Hang Man

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Spring Chores

I know, I've been slacking again. I've been a busy girl lately trying to clean up old man winter's mess. Gettin the old homestead ready for sunny weather. Of course I can't just do the essentials. I have to go a little over the top. I decided to plant a vegetable garden this year, so I made a raised bed garden using cement cinder blocks (since treated wood is toxic) and so far I've brought in a yard and a 1/2 of garden soil. That translates into over 5,000 lbs. of material that I have lifted in the last 3 days. I still have to get another truck load of dirt and another of mulch. Mulch doesn't weigh as much per shovel full, but I ALWAYS get poison ivy when I work with it. As I was lifting the cement blocks (76 total) one by one and putting them into place, I had to ask Joe: "Who's idea was this anyway?" He is very quick to point out that I bring this on all by myself. If it was up to him though the yard would look like a jungle. I told him since he wasn't helping, then he couldn't have any of my bountiful harvest. He can't have any of the vegetables either. I have to go now. I have to get started on the gazebo for the chicken pen.

4 comments:

Manders24 said...

Now all you need to do to make it more challenging is to throw babysitting 3 crazy little boys in the mix, all while juggling three cinder blocks. Might as well, right? What's one more thing

Lauren said...

I have wanted a garden for the past two years-i still have not done it. Maybe next year...

Steve said...

I wouldn't give him any vegetables either but you may want to rethink the Bountiful Harvest part.

I spent the day cleaning up after the winter also got a lot done but I still have much to do. Were back up to three chickens now. I hope I don't lose any more to the doggie patrol. Looks like a training session might be in order.

Patti said...

Joe was pretty miffed about the bountiful harvest thing. We'll just have to see