Hang Man

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Jaxon's 1st Birthday Party

We lucked out with a beautiful day for Jaxon's 1st Birthday Party. All of the little rug rats....I mean children could be outside. There really were children at the party and adults as well but you wouldn't know it by looking at my pictures of the day. The only child other than Jax that I have a picture of is the back of Julian's head. The other people just happen to be in the shot that I was taking of Jaxon. Oh, and of course there are the pictures of my confection creations. The monkeys on the cookie cake were actually edible. My photographic ability needs a little help.
I started out the day by traumatizing Jaxon with the air compressor when I was blowing up balloons. The compressor made a god awful noise and Jax started shaking and screaming. I felt awful. I figured he would never want to see another balloon. Luckily he was ok and played more with the balloons than any of the toys he got. Right before the party started he fell down in the driveway face first and got his nose all scraped up. Amanda had to console him while I consoled her and tried to convince her that she wasn't a bad mother. Actually Amanda is a great mother, she is way too hard on herself. The presentation of the cake was less than enthusiastic. Jaxon seemed to care less. Adults have such expectations and the kids have their own agenda. The sugar seemed to have an effect though. Amanda said Jaxon was wired the rest of the day and evening. All in all the day was a success. After everyone left and I was rethinking the events of the day, something occured to me. Things will not stay this way forever. I know that sounds like a "DUH" moment, but for whatever reason it really hit me. I am not always going to have to watch the steps so the baby doesn't try to go down them or make sure the furniture is arranged so that little heads are less likely to get bumped. I won't always have a supply of fruit snacks in the cupboard and there won't always be someone around that thinks I am so cool because I can peel an apple in one long strip. I hardly saw Julian today because he was off playing with another little boy. Nicholas still needs me to drive him around on the 4 wheeler but one day soon he'll be driving it himself. I hate getting older, it makes me all sappy, or maybe it just makes me smarter because I know that I have to live in the day and savor every moment. I have a mantra: "Let the past influence you, let the future entice you, but let the present envelop you". Ponder that for awhile.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm working on Sunday again, as usual. This happens to be Mom's Day. Henry, Lisa and Walt left this morning to return home to VA. We had a wonderful visit but I always feel deflated after they leave because I miss them as soon as they pull out the drive. Talked to Ky and Carrot for a bit to catch up on their news. Not too much new except for more training for him, job searching for her, and new house searching for the two of them. Shane was over with Dina last night and then by himself this morning. He is such a piece of work! All & all, a good day! Your blog kills me! So many of the things you say mirror how I feel. You should be afraid! BE VERY AFRAID!--Robbie

Lauren said...

The cake looked great! Awesome job Auntie P!

Lisa said...

Ohhh Robbie, we miss you guys too! I hate that we all live so far away!

I must say that anytime I am feeling impatient or frustrated I stop tell myself that someday I will wish for whatever it is that is giving me grief. Which makes me appreciate the moment that I am in. Sometimes when Henry is just not wanting to cooperate and is messing up the kitchen I just sit on the floor with him and help him bang the pots and pans and I forget that I was trying to get organized. He thinks it is pretty funny too! I don't think it is the getting older thing, I think you are just very wise!